Friday, December 23, 2011

Thank You Hayley Wickenheiser





Most people in Canada will know the name Hayley Wickenheiser as she is one of the best women's hockey players that has ever played for Team Canada at international competitions and is considered the best female hockey player in the world.  She also played on both of the last two gold medal winning teams at the Olympics.

I was browsing around Facebook a few days ago and saw this post on her page :



The first person I thought of was my good friend Murray Marshall who's son Sapper Steven Marshall was killed in Afghanistan in October of 2009.  Stephen grew up playing Minor hockey in Calgary and loved the sport so much so that his father Murray had his Calgary Flames jersey made in to a tribute jersey for him and has people wear it to games to keep his memory alive.  I did up a blog about that you can you read below.


When I contacted Murray to let him know he had won he asked me if I would post it on the site as he wanted to keep his son's memory alive and well and to let more people know about his hockey jersey he had made and also that Stephen will never be forgotten.

Hayley announced on her Facebook page today that Murray Marshall will get to attend the January 5th Bronze Medal game at the World Junior hockey Championships and I couldn't be happier for him.  THANK YOU Hayley for hosting the contest and making the father of a fallen soldiers Christmas a little brighter.



Father Honors sons memory with travelling Flames Jersey

Anyone who knows me personally knows that I love hockey and am a die hard Maple Leafs fan but when Murray asked me if I 'd like to be the first person to wear it to a game I didn't hesitate.  You can read about my night with the Flames jersey on my blog also.

 I would love nothing more than to get to one of these games but when I saw Hayley's post and I knew Murray had just gotten back in town I didn't hesitate to nominate him for tickets and hopefully he will get to take one of Stephens brothers and have a great night out watching the game that their son loved to play.

In March a good friend of mine who goes by @Newfiehun on Twitter also got to spend a night with Stephens Jersey which you can read about here  









No comments:

Post a Comment