Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Koi and Momiji.



The classic design of the leaping Koi with Momiji (maple leaves), symbolizing strength and perseverance. Dan approached me about getting a full body irezumi piece depicting only Koi, water and Momiji. On his chest I have put a Ryukoi (Dragonkoi), showing the transformation from Koi to Ryu (dragon). We've working on it for some time now and we're slowly getting there, inch by inch. It's always a true pleasure to work on this piece. I have no personal preference as to what the subject matter of an Irezumi piece should be, as long as it fits traditionally and culturally. Sometimes I like them intricate, weaving many stories and characters into one whole, and sometimes I like them simple as this one. I always like them though.

No comments:

Post a Comment