Friday, October 16, 2009

The 108 Heroes of the Suikoden in Irezumi.


Irezumi wouldn't be what it is without the 108 Heroes of the Suikoden. In fact, it was the popularity of this old chinese novel of Robin Hood like brigands and bandits that laid the foundation for Irezumi (Horimono). Even to this day, the Ukiyo-e designs of Hokusai, Yoshitoshi and especially Kuniyoshi portraying the lives and events of these heroes, are among the most popular of the designs for the traditional Japanese tattoo.

At this present, I have 4 backpieces with Suikoden motifs being slowly tattooed in to my clients skin. Hopefully, I'll soon sink my teeth into further variations of the story.
The backpiece in the photograph belongs to Nils and is not yet finnished. I think will arrive at completion fairly soon, and then I'll take some studio shots and show you. The design is based on a famous woodblock print by Tsukioka Yoshitoshi, and shows Roshishin (the Flower Priest) uprooting a willow tree with his bare hands.

If you want to learn more, get the exellent book "Of Brigands and Bravery" by Inge Klompmakers (Kit Publishers). I got my copy as a gift from a certain Mr. Castello.

No comments:

Post a Comment