Sunday, February 12, 2012

A tribute to a fallen Hero




Pte. Chad Horn was killed in Sept 2008 with two other soldier Cpl. Andrew Paul Grenon and Cpl. Michael Seggie in Afghanistan. Chad was ten days away from returning from his deployment back to Calgary, Alberta. I joined his Memorial Page on Facebook and planned to attend his funeral here in Calgary as it was open to the public.

This was my first military funeral and you see the flag draped caskets on TV returning home but I would never be able to put in to words the feeling when you see one coming down the isle of the church. It was there that I met a lot of Chad's family and hear the stories shared by his friends during the funeral. I quickly found out what an amazing young man he was.

I had become good friends with his mother Anita and she invited me to the following Remembrance Day ceremony in Calgary in which she would be the Silver Cross Mother, here I got to meet more of Chad's family and listen to them share funny memories of him and you could see the pride in their eyes.

About a year ago I met Sarah B. who in her spare time draws soldiers and have featured her other work on our page. I asked her if she would draw a photo of Pte Chad Horn for me to give to his mother and today I got to do just that.



This is the original photo she used and I learned today after chatting with Anita that the cat's name was Scooba and Chad would mention the cat a lot in his letters home and even had a sent a video of him. Anita also told me that the watch in the photo Chad is wearing she also wears now as it was one of the few things that made it back from Afghanistan. Anita also said she had thought about this photo a few days ago when a friend of hers had posted a photo of their son with a similar photo.

I want to thank Sarah B. for taking the time to do this for Chad's family and here is the photo she drew.

For Those I Love I Will Sacrifice - The words Pte Chad Horn had tattooed on his back




Pte Chad Horns mother Anita with the photo of her son



No comments:

Post a Comment