Friday, February 3, 2012

I'm Proud to call WO Andrew Maclean a friend

WO  Andrew Maclean (CF) & Dave Murphy (Thankasoldier)
Before you read this post I want you to picture yourself on a hike in the mountains, you're on a trail near the edge of a steep drop.  You're with a friend but they are far up ahead of you and you slip on a rock and fall down the hill.  Luckily you catch yourself on a ledge and have a branch and something to hold on to.  Your friend comes back to find you but is unable to get to you so he calls for help.  You are in such a remote area that a Search and rescue tech from the military is called in to save you.  Is your first question to this soldier 
"Are you a homosexual?"............... Read on!

The photo above is of me and WO Andrew Maclean who I met at UFC 129 in Toronto with MCpl Jody Mitic and other members of the Canadian Forces. I met Andrew on Facebook a few years previous to this and this was the first time I got to meet him person. I have a huge respect for him as I do of all of our Canadian Forces.

If you had of told me before a few days ago when the below article was on CBC News website entitled
Gay soldier says he received threat in Afghanistan that andrew was gay I would have never guessed and does it change my opinion of him in anyway HELL NO.

I only found out the article when someone emailed me and said "Hey did you know the soldier that soldier in one of your UFC photos came out as being gay" ....... I won't go in to how the rest of that conversation went but needless to say I wouldn't be able to post it on here.  To the people who were leaving all the nasty and hateful messages on the CBC news site your dose of "Keyboard Courage" wouldn't amount to an ounce of what this fine soldier has of real courage and bravery.

WO Andrew McLean, a CF Search and Rescue Technician was one of the founders of the soldier On program which is a grass roots movement that provides assistance to ill and injured military personnel and their families on relevant physical fitness, health promotion and sport activities conducive to optimizing functional independence.

I want to say Thank You to WO  Andrew Maclean for all his work over the last six years with the Soldier On program and I am proud to know you.

Dave Murphy - @Thankasoldier

A note from WO Andrew Mclean (Posted with full permision)

Friends,

I would like to extend a heart felt THANKYOU for your show of support the past couple of days. I am not at all surprised at the depth of character of those whom I know and call my friends, I have also received msgs from people I do not know and that speaks volums to their character as well. THANKYOU

It was an hour long interview expressed in 2min so believe me when I say there is more. The interview did focus on the percieved concern I had for my safety but I was able to mitigate that down to probably not (I believe I was justified in asking myself that question due to the environment I was in) No one should have to ask that question regarding the people they work with!

The note was a negative and it hurt and offended me as a person and I believe the uniform that I represent, I am a team player and what happens to one happens to all. I am far from perfect but I along with many I know work hard at the pursuit of excellance. That will never change.

As for the whole coming out thing, a few of my friends knew already and the past couple of years if someone asked I told them. (not many ask because it does not matter) I would say it was not so much of hiding but more on the side of trying hard to fit in and after years of trying reality catches up.

I will continue to push forward and I know I am not alone.

Without Regard for my personal comfort or self advancement
That Others May Live

Thank you all once again for your support and friendship.

WO Andrew Mclean



Click below to watch the story on CBC news

No comments:

Post a Comment