Monday, February 13, 2012

Act Of Valor - My Review




Tonight I went to see "Act Of Valour" at a pre-screening here in Calgary, Aberta.  I went in to this movie knowing the main actors in it were real US Navy Seals so I wasn't expecting any Academy Award type acting skills as these men were not actors they are SEALs.

The movie took years to film and was surprised to find out that in some cases filming took place in segments of four hours or less as parts of this were shot during members of the teams deployment operations.

As for movie itself, I won't give away any of the story line but it was pretty intense, a lot of first person camera views that put you right in the action.  There are also some pretty powerful scenes showing the family side of the military world and not only were real SEALs used in this movie but also their family members.

There were parts of the movie where the theatre was in total silence, a few parts where I could see people covering there eyes and some pretty funny moments.  I am not a critic, but knowing so many men and women who serve and their families personally parts of this movie really hit me but again I won't give away any spoilers but I think everyone should see this film.

I took a friend of mine to see this with me tonight and this is what her thoughts were :

"This movie gave me more of an inside view of real missions and hand to hand combat. This movie again showed me the real heroes of this world fighting for our freedom, so we can sleep safe at night. I honestly don't know how these Men and Women are so brave and strong. I'm not one for 'war' movies, and I had to look away at certain moments. But if you want to see a movie that really truly has meaning and significance, please take 2 hrs out of your life and watch." - Karin - Calgary, AB

"In the '70's my unit did a fair bit of training with the US Special Forces. Although there was certainly some "reality stretching" in some scenes, and the soldiers in attendance did a bit of groaning, while the civilians did the "oohs and aahs", I have to say that most of the field tactics and procedures were reasonably accurate. The eqpt has sure changed since my day, with electric Gatling guns(GAU-17/A) mounted on assault boats(SWCC), night vision, and individual comms... More importantly, sensationalism aside, the film does give the average person a peek into the level of loyalty and respect these men have for each other, and their combined commitment to the task at hand. When you hear a soldier tell you that unless you've been there, you wouldn't understand, this film should help give you an idea of what they mean. What many may not know is that when Special Forces soldiers are killed in the type of covert ops depicted, the families are told very little of the circumstances surrounding the death. In most cases, the where's, when, and whys are never answered; in the name of national security. Overall a pretty good flick!" - Canadian Veteran

The film is scheduled to be released on February 24, 2012 WATCH THE TRAILER BELOW



In 2007, Mike McCoy and Scott Waugh of Bandito Brothers Production filmed a video for the Special Warfare Combatant-craft Crewmen SWCC which led the Navy to allow them to use SEALs. After spending so much time working closely with the SEALs, McCoy and Waugh conceived the idea for a modern day action movie about this covert and elite fighting force.

As Act of Valor developed with the SEALs on board as advisors, the film makers realised that no actors could realistically portray or physically fill the roles they'd written and the actual SEALs were drafted in to the film. None of the SEALs' names will appear in the credits of the film




Please take a moment to check out some of our other articles : 

How a tweet to a hashtag saved a soldiers life

No comments:

Post a Comment